Do you possess a strong drive to be data-driven and make decisions based on data. Are you a strong collaborator, with great communication and presentation skills? Do you have an impeccable attention to detail coupled with a strong proficiency in SQL-like languages and BI Tools?
Sounds like you, continue reading…
In 2035, Africa will have the largest workforce in the world and will need to catalyse transformation by empowering its largest untapped resource – its people. Fuelled by this, the African Leadership Group is an ecosystem of institutions with a shared vision to harness Africa’s abundant human capital and transform the continent and the world by selecting, developing, and connecting 2 million young leaders to opportunities by 2030. ALG was founded over 15 years ago by Fred Swaniker, a serial entrepreneur recognised by Time Magazine as one of the 100 most influential people of 2019. ALX and The Room are two brands of the African Leadership Group.
ALX is our training arm, focused on developing skills for the fourth industrial revolution (software engineering, devops, data science, etc.) to ensure that Africa is able to compete effectively as the world undergoes a digital transformation. To cement this, through our legal entity African Leadership International (ALI), we have signed an agreement to acquire Silicon Valley based Holberton Inc. – a project-based, college alternative educating the next generation of software engineers. This will give us ownership of the advanced technology program that will enable us to provide global organizations access to significant untapped pools of talent that can bridge the growing global shortage of technology talent. For more on this, please read this article here.
The Room our talent placement arm, is a community that our young talent join to access global work opportunities. To learn more about us, please read this article about why we launched The Room & this article about the impact of our development programs on African youth. View this pitch deck to see how we present ourselves to employers.
ABOUT THE DATA TEAM
Companies around the world are clamoring to find talent with skills in software engineering, data science, UX/UI design, software architecture, business intelligence, cyber security, cloud computing, Internet of Things, product management, and other skills that can enable the rapidly accelerating digital transformation. The Room is solving this challenge by creating a new supply of diverse, world-class technology talent and matching this talent to global companies that need it.
Our method is simple: (i) select the best emerging talent from the world’s largest pool of untapped talent: Africa (which will form 40% of the world’s population by the end of this century); (ii) rapidly train this talent to meet market demands and reduce the shortage of available technology talent and (iii) build a large-scale, B2B staffing business to outsource this talent to global companies.
This is where you come in – As our BI Engineer, you will analyze data and present insights to teams and functional leads in an effort to help them make better business decisions.
You will be joining a team that has a fail fast, iterate often mentality. With a bold mission, we encourage autonomy, creativity, collaboration and experimentation. We seek those that have a beginners’ mindset, are lifelong learners, thrive in uncertain circumstances and uncharted territory, have a user-first mindset, finding joy in understanding the pain points of the customers and solving their problems data.
If you’re excited about working in a hyper-growth, fun and collaborative environment, this is a chance for you to have an impact on young African talent.
ABOUT THE ROLE
- As our Business Intelligence Engineer, your responsibilities will include:
- Analyzing complex datasets to derive insights and answer key business questions
- Leveraging multiple data sources to deliver analytics aligned to the product, technology and business roadmaps
- Presenting insights to business stakeholders using a mix of data visualization and story-telling
- Delivering dashboards to empower non-technical staff in realizing their targets
- Working closely with scientists and engineers, while collaborating productively with the Technology, Product, Marketing, and Business teams
- 2+ years industry experience in data analysis and data presentation
- Strong proficiency in SQL-like languages
- Experience with either or both of Statistics and Experimental Design
- Experience with web analytics platforms (Google Analytics, Heap, MixPanel, Amplitude, etc.)
- Experience with BI tools (Tableau, Looker, PowerBI, etc.)
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Strong collaboration skills to work across teams
- Obsessive about attention to detail
- Strong drive to be data-driven and make decisions based on data
- Experience with Python, R will be a big plus
- Bachelors in Computer Science or Applied Mathematics, Statistics.
YOU WILL LOVE THIS JOB IF..
- Believe in humanity’s ability to self-improve, and are passionate about leveraging technology, streamlined systems and data to solve human-centric problems
- Seek to create lasting impact by solving problems that address systemic growth challenges
- Can think in terms of ambitious goals that span years, not months
- Have an “owner’s approach” to be able to deliver on minimal supervision